On May 27, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) and the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) released the COVID-19 Prevention Guidance for Summer School. Our district will use the COVID-19 mitigation strategies from the MDH, MDE, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as Minnesota and federal regulations to inform our protocols for summer school programming.
Our 2021 summer programming (summer school, athletics and activities, Community Education programming, and Mahtomedi Adventure Club) COVID-19 protocols are noted below and will be outlined on our School Year Plan website.
Summer Programming COVID-19 Protocols
Please note our new protocols will begin on Saturday, June 12, 2021
- Face coverings are NOT required in our school and district buildings. We strongly recommend that staff, visitors, or children who are not vaccinated wear a face covering in alignment with the MDH and CDC’s recommendation. Please note that students and staff who participate in the Mahtomedi Adventure Club (MAC) must wear masks indoors until June 30 or until 70% of Minnesotans aged 16+ receive at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, whichever is earlier per MDH requirements.
- Face Coverings are required while on school buses. All people are required by the CDC order to wear face coverings on all public transportation conveyances (airports, public buses, etc.), including school buses. This requirement includes all Summer MAC field trips. Our school buses will also maintain six feet of distance between the driver and riders.
Physical Distancing Mitigation Strategies
- A minimum of six feet of physical distancing in learning spaces will be used whenever possible as outlined by the CDC.
- Outdoor spaces for learning and activities will be used whenever possible.
- Cohorts of students will be used whenever possible.
- We will limit nonessential visitors.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
We will continue to encourage hand washing and respiratory etiquette practices. Our buildings and school buses will follow a regular sanitizing and cleaning schedule based on activities.
Reporting Positive Cases & Quarantines
- Students and staff should stay home when ill or showing COVID-19 symptoms as outlined in the MDH Decision Tree.
- We ask that families and staff who are participating in summer programming continue to report COVID-19 positive cases in their families. Summer programs will communicate with families about their positive case reporting process.
- Unvaccinated staff and students will be quarantined following the MDH Decision Tree if there is a positive COVID-19 case in their household.
COVID-19 Data and Vaccinations