Licensed School Nurses (LSN)
Mahtomedi has one full-time LSN that is assigned to our school district and one part-time LSN at the high school. The amount of time spent at each school varies depending on the number of students enrolled, the specialized health procedures required by the students, and the number of students receiving Special Education.
School nurses are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Education. A bachelor's degree in Nursing with Registered Nurse licensure and Public Health Nursing Certification is required to obtain a school nurse license.
The responsibilities of the Licensed School Nurse include:
- Develop and supervise a system of first aid, illness management, emergency care and health related guidelines
- Assess, plan and document for those students with acute and/or chronic health conditions
- Coordinate vision and hearing screening and do follow-up with referrals
- Serve as a resource to staff, students, and families regarding health concerns and health education
- Coordinate prevention and control of communicable diseases
- Provide guidance, delegation and supervision of Registered Nurses and Health Paraprofessionals
- Special Education Team Member
Building Registered Nurses (RN)
Building RN staff assist the LSN in implementing and achieving the goals of school nursing and are able to provide daily skilled nursing care in caring for students during the school day.
High School Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) / District Float Nurse
The LPN assists the Building RN with daily health office tasks such as medication administration and caring for ill or injured students. They are also available to assist and cover in health offices throughout the school district if one of the Building RN's are absent, or require additional assistance for other tasks.
Health Para-Professionals (HP)
Health Paras assist the LSN and Building RN's in implementing and achieving the goals of school nursing in our schools daily. They care for ill and injured students and carry out delegated nursing activities under LSN and Building RN supervision.
Meet the Health Service Staff
District Licensed School Nurse
Megan McMahon BSN, RN, PHN, LSN
High School Building RN
Brooke Hemenway, BSN, RN
High School LPN/ District LPN Float Nurse
Doug Martin, LPN
Middle School Building RN
Katie Peper, RN
O.H. Anderson Building RN
Marcia Senkler, RN
Wildwood Building RN
Renee Vadnais, RN
St Jude of the Lake Health Paraprofessional
Lisa Axelson, Health Para
Phone 651-426-2562 x243